Featured Site

You Drop, I Link!

Followers

Our Magazine

Angels 

Weekly
Come and Visit us~

Adgitize

Link to Me...

If you would like to link to this blog, copy and paste the code below into your site. Thank You~

Soy Wax Candle Blog From Kats 

Candles

Along for the Ride

Going Green with a Rain Barrel

Posted by KAT Thursday, August 20, 2009

rain barrel image
I am getting a rain barrel after reading about them and wanting to do my part to help. From all the research that I have done on rain barrels, I think this is a wonderful idea!

If most of us purchased a rain water barrel for rain harvesting, we could all go a little greener, and help to conserve water in our lives. Most of the water that an average household uses ends up as waste anyway, so why not utilize what we are given so freely by catching the rain and using that?

Just think, if you harvested rain and stored it, you could still water your garden or lawn when the city declares a water emergency, like they do here every summer. You would have rain water already stored and ready to go! You could also use this water for doing the dishes, or washing your clothes. Another great idea to use the rain water is for washing the car! How many of us use the garden hose and leave it running? Or just use lots of water when we do wash our car, and that all could be done with rain water! It is good for the environment and good for your wallet if you pay a water bill every year too!

There are many rain barrels for sale and there are lots of different styles, shapes and types, depending on what your needs are. If you bought a couple of rain water barrels, then you could have unlimited water available if you needed it. I know our water supply has been tainted with E coli twice now, and we have had to buy bottled water for everything, and they the stores run out of it, and we have no water?

The only thing is that if you want to use it for drinking or cooking, you would have to have a filtration system in place, because you want to make sure that all the impurities are taken out prior to ingesting the rain water.

It just seems like a good idea to me, that when it rains, harvesting the water for future use is taking place as long as you have your rain barrel or barrels. I am going to check out the secure site, and they usually offer free shipping or low cost shipping, and try to get a rain barrel for sale so that I can start storing up the rain. I wish I would have known about this in June! It rained here every single day except for 3 days that month!! Think of how much rain water I could have already??

Will you go green with a rain barrel too?
Take Care,
Kat

4 comments

  1. Jaffer Says:
  2. I've heard some places in the USA (Colorado being one if I remember right) prohibit the collection of rain water - which really surprised me
    !

    Back in India, it's common to find such plastic barrels in which people collect rain water for washing clothes and cleaning the house.

    But we would always use tap water for cooking, washing dishes and drinking.

    I live in an apartment, where water and electricity is included in the rent and I don't quite have a place for collecting rainwater

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. Check E-bay too you might get one cheaper. :D

     
  5. Unknown Says:
  6. In Florida, we use more than one rain barrel for rainwater harvesting. During rainy season they overflow in a few minutes and the overflow takes care of our garden.
    Our barrels are connected to our rain gutters, so we keep them very clean. My wife says, "...rainwater in the rain barrel is only as clean as it comes from the gutters!"
    We use the newly invented gutter cleaning tool called the Gutter Clutter Buster that can be bought on-line at www.gutterclutterbuster.com If you go there you will see how easy it is to keep your gutters clean and do it more often, for better and cleaner rainwater harvesting.
    Congratulations to anyone who is buying their first rain barrel. You will not be disappointed in the results and money you will save!

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. We looked around for a decent rain barrel and found this one - the only one that has an inlet equal in size to the outlet - http://www.aquabarrel.com/product_rain_barrel_complete_80gal.php

     

About Me

My photo
Cape Cod, Massachusetts, United States
I enjoy all kinds of crafts including jewelry making, candle making, polymer clay work and beading. I have a great sense of humor and I love to laugh! I post jokes and stories here for others to enjoy. I will offer tips and hints and some awesome Top 10 lists.

FaceBook Friends

More Sites to See

Recent Visitors

Where U From?

Adgitize